Thursday, December 02, 2004

...pen-knifes

there is something rather manly about carrying a pen-knife It has little to do with utility. There is a hidden power and security in the knowledge that in time of peril , you have the ability to handle yourself. Us penknife keepers get such a sense of well-being and personal achievement when faced with an opportunity to demonstrate ones preparedness. No cotton thread is to trivial.
I have my office pen-knife, which sits in my right trouser pocket to be thumbed all day. The insignia of the donating company has all but worn off. The ideal toy for those daily meetings. I can't stop myself from retracting and inserting the toothpick and tweezers over and over again. I just love the way they slide so neatly and unobtrusively into place. I would not be without them. One day, one day I may find a use for them.
The key-ring penknife is by far the most useful. Simple, Christmas cracker sort of thing. The plastic cover fell of years ago leaving a raw metal, "I've lived" feel. Nearly lost this one at Maastricht airport ( more akin to a jetty than a port). Having read the security warning about sharps in hand luggage I proceeded to remove the nail snippers that always sit in the outside pocket of my "Matlab conference '97" shoulder bag and stow it in the suitcase. But plain forgot about the faithful friend on my keys.
The keen eyed attendant spotted it in the x-ray and meticulously searched through until he found the offending item. When he handed it back to me I presumed it was my honest expression, until he declared, much to loudly, as passers by could definitely hear " too SMALL ". I rather wished that he had kept it.!

No comments: